Pages

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Stranger Danger

My husband and I packed up both boys so that the youngest one could see the eye doctor after surgery. While we were waiting we visited with this couple in the waiting room. They seemed like nice people. I tend to be more private and on the shy side but my husband (even though he's an introvert too) tends to send out the "talk-to-me-I'm-a-nice-guy" vibe. Our boys were waiting with us and the older one was getting a little antsy. The gentleman told my son that he would give him a quarter if he would say his name. And my son (almost 3) went right over to him for the money. YIKES!! I was embarrassed at my lack of parenting skills and scared that my son would just go over to a stranger. I want to teach him about strangers, but I'm not sure he can comprehend it right now and I don't want to scare him...but I kind of do. Since my husband works at church, we're around people a lot. My son has never had stranger anxiety because of that...and now I wish he did. I really don't want anything to happen to him.

So, I'm asking for some suggestions on how to talk to your toddlers about strangers or if you know of any good books to read.

Thanks!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Yikes! It's so sad that we as parents have to be leery of almost everyone these days.

I tell my young children that if mommy is with them, they may speak to an adult who has spoken to them. If I am NOT with them, I tell them it's not rude to walk away without speaking to a stranger who has spoken to them.