Pages

Friday, May 15, 2009

Korean Beef Short-Ribs

We bought a meat package through our local SHARE program and it included some ribs. I'm not sure what to do with ribs except to smoke them and BBQ them. And I don't know how to smoke, and I've tried to BBQ them before. They were good BBQ'd but I wanted to try something different. And this week seemed to be "Crock-Pot" week at our house, so I continued with the slow-cooking powers of my crock pot.


Korean Beef Short-Ribs

4-4 1/2 lbs short ribs
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 broth or water
1/4 cup soy or tamari sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp minced fresh ginger
2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp dark sesame oil
sprinkle of red pepper flakes
2 tsp toasted sesame seeds

Spray crock with non-stick cooking spray. Place ribs in the bottom of the crock. Mix together onions, broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and pepper. Pour over ribs. Cook on low for 7-8 hours.

Cut rib meat off bones. Let liquid stand for 5 minutes; skim off fat. Stir sesame oil and red pepper flakes into liquid and return meat to slow cooker. Cook 15-30 minutes on low.

Serve meat over rice and garnish with sesame seeds. I also steamed some frozen mixed Chinese veggies.

My Notes:
  • I had only 2+ lbs of ribs, but I still made the full amount of sauce because I like things saucy. ;) And am glad I did. If I made 4 lbs of meat, I'd probably double the sauce.
  • I used some frozen green onions. They worked great. If you need to garnish with green onions or use them fresh (not cooked) don't use frozen, they'll be soggy. But if you're using them in a recipe like Korean Beef Short-Ribs or meatloaf, they'll work just fine.
  • I didn't have any fresh ginger so I substituted 1/2 tsp of dried ground ginger.
  • I substituted the dark sesame oil for the regular since I had that on hand.
It took a bit of time (10 minutes or more) to get the meat off the bones. But the end result was terrific. I will definitely be making this again! Yumm-O!

No comments: