Pages

Monday, April 6, 2009

Spanish Rice

I've been looking for a yummy Spanish Rice recipe for a while. I know that it's healthier to make fresh than to make it from a box, so I started digging around the internet. This was our favorite Spanish Rice recipe. It's a little spicy (our 3-year-old refused to eat it and our 15-month-old loved it...go figure) so you can adjust the spices to your liking. Enjoy!


Spanish Rice

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 green onions, sliced
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup uncooked rice
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 cups chicken broth
1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes with chili's
1 cup frozen corn (can used canned corn)
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
parsley
1/2 tsp cumin

Heat the vegetable oil over med-high heat in a large skillet. Saute onions and peppers until soft; add garlic and rice, browning the rice well. Pour in chicken broth, tomatoes with chili's, corn, and spices. Simmer on low for 30 minutes or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.

You can omit the corn if you like, but it added much needed sweetness to the spice. Yumm-O!!

3 comments:

call me Laura said...

Jess, thanks for the comments on the shirt, If I can find a black onsie I think I might have to create a tuxedo t-shirt! Spanish rice, my easy way out on this one is follow the directions for brown rice and add 1/2 cup salsa to start too so it cooks together.

Live.Love.Eat said...

Awesome. I made one just a month ago but I never posted. Oh well. Maybe because hubs wasn't crazy about it. But this one looks great!

Niki Jolene said...

Yummo!

Sounds good!

:)