Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Recipe Testing #1

In January I officially became a recipe tester for Cook's Country, my favorite foodie magazine. Don't think that I'm anything special, you just log-in to their website and sign-up. Once a month, they'll send you a recipe to test and give you a deadline for your feedback. You never "have" to test a recipe so if the ingredients don't fit into the budget (they plan 6 months in advance so you might have a recipe that calls for watermelon in January) I don't make the recipe.

On Monday night, I made my first test recipe: Reduced-Fat Sloppy Joes. I'm not at liberty to share the recipe with you, but I will share the numbers for this reduced-fat sandwich:

All nutritional information is for a single serving (including bun).

Traditional Sloppy Joe
Calories: 570
Fat: 30g
Saturated Fat: 10g

Cook's Country Reduced-Fat Sloppy Joe
Calories: 280
Fat: 9g
Saturated Fat: 2.5g

That's quite a difference! I'd say that the recipe was really good. Tasted very similar to my traditional sloppy joes (or tavern as we call them around here) but were more time consuming. So, if I'm planning ahead, I will make the reduced-fat version, but if I'm making tavern in a pinch, I'll just make them my traditional way and live with the extra fat.

PS. I'll let you know when the recipe comes out in the magazine.

No comments: