Pages

Monday, July 5, 2010

Book Readin'

It's not often that I have time to read anymore...at least not books that contain vocabulary unlike Dr. Seuss. I've been trying to make it a point of reading more books and so far, I'm doing a pretty good job.

It's helpful when you look up a book on Amazon that they give you other books you might enjoy. So, when I head to the library website I have a list of books that I'd like to check out right away. The trick is to not get ahead of yourself and reserve too many books that you get fined for 5 books that are waiting to be read. Therefore I try to pace myself. Currently, I am bookless and I find the evenings boring without a book to read. I was just on the library website reserving another book.

Meanwhile, I thought I'd write about two of the books that I've read in the last few weeks.

Menonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home
by: Rhoda Janzen

This book just sounded interesting. It's a non-Christian memoir and she explains why she chose not to live the Menonite lifestyle unlike some of her siblings. It's a tale of a woman who goes home and how she got there and how she's adapting to her new life. It has some funny moments and I did finish the book, however, I didn't read the end where she explains some of the Menonite culture. It wasn't that interesting. ;) And I can't say that I'd even recommend it.


Maid to Match
by: Deanne Gist

This book takes place in the South and in the time period of the Vanderbilts, maids, butlers, and a whole host of other servants. It's a really nice love story but it also deals with living up to your parents' expectations and fulfilling their dreams for your life instead of realizing your gifts and your passions. Ms. Gist writes in a way that makes you see the book as a movie. I was able visualize the inside of the Vanderbilt's home, the orphanage, the servant's quarters. She does a good job of making the love story non-cheesy. I get annoyed sometimes with Christian books where everything works out and there's just too much happiness. But this book does a great job of balancing that out. That there is hurt to go along with the joy and it's all in how it motivates you to become a better person in Christ. It's a great book and I would definitely recommend it.


Tomorrow I'll be posting about a book recommended by Molly Piper.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I've been trying to read more lately too. I currently have 4 to read- yikes. I always set myself up to fail in the book department lol. Have you read Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers? I just started that.

Pam said...

Hi Jess - Hope you are doing well! I would recommend any of Deanne Gist's books - they are great! Also - Cathie Marie Haak is a good one, too - entertaining books :) It was great to see you last week - hope to talk soon!