Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Starting a Small Group

Along with a high school junior, I started a small group with seven 7th grade girls. Last week we met with the moms and let them in on what our group is about and what is required of the girls in the group. It went really well, although I was nervous. ;) And tonight we have our first real meeting.

We're going to be going through the book A Young Woman After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George. I've used this book before and it went really well. It really focuses on how to have a relationship with Jesus Christ: setting apart time to spend with Him each day, talking with Him, submitting to His authority, and more! I think it's a great starter book for these girls.

I also encouraged them to get a journal for their quiet times and for prayer requests. I think it's important for them to journal about Scripture that they're reading 1) to stay on task and 2) so they can reflect back on this passage later. It's amazing how you can read something from God's Word and read it again a year later and He's speaking truth to you in a new and fresh way.

I also created a Group Covenant (with help from a handout I received from the youth pastor) that they will sign tonight. I think it's important to give them clear expectations. It helps them to take ownership of the group, helps them to come to group prepared, and it's a great way to have the girls hold each other accountable for the goals we've set for our group.

Please be in prayer for me and my co-leader as we serve these girls and hopefully guide them to a closer relationship with the Lord.

No comments: